Artillery of The Victorian Forts

Maxim Machine Gun with shield on Cone Mounting

 

This mounting is suitable for all Maxim guns of .303-inch and .45-inch calibre. The cone is designed to fit the service holding down ring and has a circular platform which enables the gun to be traversed to any angle or to be held in a fixed position by means of a clip. The holding down ring is designed hold any machine gun mounted on a service cone. It is made of phosphor bornze, is held in position on a wooden, concrete or iron platform by 10 fixing screws, and is constructed so that lugs on the cone drop into the openings cut in the ring. when the platform is of concrete, securing plugs made of metal are fixed in the concrete; these are tapped to receive the fixing screws. This type of mounting was employed in the batteries of the Stokes Bay Lines in 1904-06.

 

The naval cone mounting for the .45-inch Maxim with a stell bullet-proof shield was approved for use on land.

Maxim Machine Gun with shield on Cone Mounting

 

Maxim Machine Gun on Cone Mounting

 

Maxim Machine Gun (Naval) on Cone Mounting

 

Cone Mounting

 

 

Maxim Machine Gun on Naval Deck Mounting

(Fort Henry Canada)

Maxim on Naval Deck Mounting