Page 14 - Dover
P. 14

Victorian Forts                                                                  Dover 2





                                              Fort Burgoyne




          Commenced            June 1861                            Armament
          Completed            December 1873
          Cost                  £ 86,361                            Originally for 29 guns on terreplein (including 6 in
                                                                    Haxos) and 26 in caponiers and scarp gun rooms,
          Map Reference        TR 324427                            plus 9 on outworks
          Position             North of Dover Castle                1892 Approved 1 x 4-inch BL, 2 x 6.6-inch
                                                                    howitzers, 7 x 24pr carronades, 6 machine guns.
          Type                 Land Front / Polygonal               West Outwork: 2 machine guns.
          Ditch                Dry                                  East Outwork: 1 machine gun
                                                                    1892 Mounted 6 x 7-inch RBLs, 13 x 24pr
          Guns                 55 plus 9 in outworks                carronades
          Barrack Accom. 7 officers plus 270 men
          Present use          Still in Army hands

                                                                    Caponiers           One double, three
          History              Army barracks, later store
                                                                                        demi
                                                                    Counterscarp        None
          Disposal             Maintained by DoE’s Property
          Condition            Services Agency                      galleries
          Access               Very difficult to arrange
                                                                    Haxo casemates Three double
                               Burridge, ‘The Royal Commission Defences of
          Sources              Dover’
                                                                    Moncrieff Pits      None

          History and Description


           Fort Burgoyne, originally Castle Hill Fort but renamed after Gen Sir John Burgoyne, was the only wholly new work built in Dover as a
           result of the 1859 Royal Commission’s recommendations. It was designed by du Cane and sited on the high ground to the north of
           Dover Castle. In plan the fort is very similar to those of the Gosport Advanced Line, with casemated barrack accommodation around a
           parade ground and gun ramps doubling as traverses for access to the terreplein. Fort Burgoyne, however, has its west flank extended
           along the crest of the hill, and it lacks the Gosport forts’ “keep of last resort”. It is  an irregular hexagon  in plan, about 280 metres from
           north to south, and 260 metres from east to west. It  consists of  a main north facing rampart, mounting the main armament of the fort
           on its terreplein, with two faces and a central double caponier flanking its ditch. The terrepleins of the two flanks provided covering fire
           to the east and west with an elongated extension to the west flank covering the Dover to Gunston Road which ran close by. A
           demi-caponier was situated to flank the ditch at each of the shoulders of  the fort with another to flank the ditch of the  elongated west
           rampart, giving one double caponier and three demi-caponiers in total. Training huts were built to the south of the fort and served as the
           precursor to the Connaught Barracks, which was  constructed in 1912 and released by the Army for a housing development in 2007.

           During WW1 the fort may have acted as a magazine for the adjoining Dover (Guston Road) Aerodrome and in WW2 a battery of 25pr
           field guns was mounted in reinforced concrete shelters.

           Fort Burgoyne is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979  as it appears to the Secretary of State
           to be of national importance.

           The fort was released by the Military in 2006. Various plans were put forward for the use of the site.
           The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA)  handed over the 42-hectares of land to the Land Trust in 2014 , along with an
           endowment, of which half will be used to restore the site and half to maintain it in future years.

           The Land trust states ‘The plans for Fort Burgoyne are still in the early stages. The underlying principle of all planning is that the site is
           there for community use as much as possible; to provide sustainable long-term solutions for land in order to benefit local people. At
           Fort Burgoyne, we aim to bring communities together to enable them to experience the benefits of outdoor spaces.’





          www.victorianforts.co.uk
   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19