Page 2 - Gosport.dpd
P. 2

Victorian Forts                                             Portsmouth                       1





                                            Fort Brockhurst




          Commenced            31/03/1858                           Armament
          Completed            20/12/1862
          Cost                  £ 108,999                           Originally for 50 guns on ramparts and in flanking
                                                                    casemates with 30 in the keep and caponiers.
          Map Reference        SU 596020                            1893 Approved
          Position             Gosport Advanced Line / Western      8 x 7-inch RBL  9 x 64 pr RML  2 x .45 MG
                               Flank
          Type                 Land  Front / Polygonal              1893 Mounted
          Ditch                Wet                                  9 x 64 pr. RML 16 x 7-inch RBL
          Guns                 73
          Barrack Accom. 308 men
          Present use          English Heritage / museum /
                               training workshop
          History              Army barracks and transit camp       Caponiers           Two demi
                                                                                        one full
                                                                    Counterscarp
          Disposal             Army moved out in 1957 Actively
          Condition            conserved and restored All year      galleries           None
          Access               round
                                                                    Haxo casemates Four (2 x double) +
                                                                                        one on keep
          Sources              Solent Papers No 6
                                                                    Moncrieff Pits      None


          History and Description


           One of a line of five forts to defend the western approaches to Portsmouth Harbour. It was designed,
           together with its sister forts, Grange and Rowner, by William Crossman. It is an early example of the
           polygonal fort and features a circular keep of last resort at its gorge. Its main west rampart is built
           over a series of casemated barrack rooms. The central parade is divided into three sections by two
           long earth ramps for access to the terreplein. The shoulders of the fort house the main magazines
           whilst the north and south flanks provide accommodation for officers and NCOs as well as gun
           casemates for flank defence. The terrepleins of the flanks have two Haxo casemates each. Brockhurst
           was the discharge depot where the periodical drafts of men, whose time of service had expired while
           abroad, were kept until the details incident to their discharge were completed.


           Brockhurst was a recruitment centre and served as a demobilisation centre in 1918. It was the depot
           and headquarters for a variety of regiments from the 1900s onwards. This included the 4th. Medium
           Regiment, the Royal Warwicks and finally 245 Armament Battery.


           The fort was in use by the army until 1957. It was sold in 1962 and English Heritage acquired it in
           1984. It was used for many years as a training facility for the English Heritage Craftsmen. The south
           Haxo contains a 64 pr. 64cwt RML on a traversing carriage. The old Regimental Institute building in
           the centre of the parade has been converted for storage of artefacts from English Heritage properties
           across south east England. The fort is not open to the public, except by arrangement with E.H. and on
           selected occasions in the Summer.





          www.victorianforts.co.uk
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7