Page 26 - Gosport.dpd
P. 26

Victorian Forts                                             Portsmouth                       19d





                              Stokes Bay Lines Battery No.4




          Commenced            1857                                 Armament
          Completed            1861
          Cost                  £ 75,120 for the Lines              1872   4 x 8-inch S.B.
                                                                    1890  4 x 7-inch R.B.L.
          Map Reference        SZ 60215 98354                       1901  4 x Maxim Machine Guns
          Position             Gosport Stokes Bay                   1904  Disarmed


          Type                 Coast Defence Flanking Battery
          Ditch                wet
          Guns                 4
          Barrack Accom. None
          Present use          Horse paddock

                                                                    Caponiers           None
          History              Coast Defence
                                                                    Counterscarp        None
          Disposal             Demolished Post 1950
          Condition            Nothing remains                      galleries
          Access               None
                                                                    Haxo casemates None
          Sources              Stokes Bay Defences - D.Moore
                                                                    Moncrieff Pits      None

          History and Description


           No.4 Battery was first armed with four 8-inch SB guns. These were mounted in pairs to fire down
           each branch of the moat. By 1886 these had been replaced with four 7-inch 82cwt. R.B.L. guns on
           Dwarf Traversing Platforms.  Two magazines were provided one for cartridges holding 44 barrels
           (later 448 cartridges) and one shell store holding 420 shells. Both were located in the centre of the
           battery beneath an earth mound for protection. Outside the entrance to the shell store, but beneath the
           earth mound, was a side arm store and two recesses for the storage of vent pieces for the 7-inch
           R.B.L. guns. In 1890 it was decided to replace all four 7-inch R.B.L. guns with machine guns on
           parapet mountings. The 7-inch R.B.L. guns were to be retained until the machine guns were supplied
           by 1901. The battery was disarmed in 1904 but by this time a transmitting station had been added for
           the position finding cell directing the two 9.2-inch B.L. guns on Fort Gilkicker.


           The site of No.4 Battery is recognisable but most features have been destroyed. The site is used as a
           stable and paddock for horses. The ditch has been filled by pushing the ramparts into them and no
           evidence of the gun emplacements or magazines remains on site.
















          www.victorianforts.co.uk
   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31