Page 10 - Demo
P. 10


                                    Armament
History and description
1887
1887
SM 86812 05725
West of South Hook
Practice Battery
None
4
None
Open access
Practice Battery for volunteers?
Good
Open
1858 &1868 Committee Reports,  Precis of
Correspondence prior to 1893 National Archives.
Commenced
Completed
Cost                  £
Map Reference
Position
Type
Ditch
Guns
Barrack Accom.
Present use
History
Disposal
Condition
Access
Sources
4a
In 1887 it was decided that guns mounted for practice  on  Thorne Island should not be carried out. The Defence Committee
instead  decided 
the suggestions of the Officer Commanding Royal Artillery to establish a practice battery near South Hook
is worthy of consideration on the score of both expediency and expense.
The battery was built to the west of South Hook. Although it does not appear on armament lists it is safe to assume that it was
for four 64pr RML guns on C pivot platforms. 
It consist of a line of four concrete emplacements with no parapets or embrasures.
A shelter/store and a small expense recess was constructed to the rear of the gun  emplacements. The presence of discarded
friction tubes amongst the grass shows that it was in use during the Victorian period.
Four position finder cells (now demolished)  for the battery,  were sited behind.
South Hook Fort Practice Battery
Milford Haven
Victorian Forts
www.victorianforts.co.uk
4 x 64pr RML Practice

                                
   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14