Page 24 - Demo
P. 24


                                    Milford Haven
11
West Blockhouse Battery
10 September 1900
13 June 1902
29,295
OS 815035
Above West Blockhouse Point
Coast defence battery
5
Vacant and partially buried
Coast defence battery
1956/7
poor
With permission of Landmark
Trust
1858 &1868 Committee Reports,  Precis of
Correspondence prior to 1893 National Archives.
1902-1907
2 x 9.2-inch BL Mark X
3 x 6-inch BL Mark VII
1914-1917
3 x 6-inch BL withdrawn
1917
1 x 9.2-inch BL withdrawn
1922
1 x 6-inch BL mounted
1929
1 x 6-inch BL mounted
1933
1 x 9.2-inch BL Mark X mounted
1937
2 x 9-inch BL Mark X
2 x 6-inch BL Mark VII
1939
2 x 9.2-inch BL withdrawn
1956
Disarmed
None
None
None
None
In 1887 it was proposed that a new battery be  for 4 x 9inch RML guns be constructed near West Blockhouse Fort for
defence of the entrance to the channel, however the Committee  decided that:  
despite the advantages of the site, it is
inadvisable to place heavy guns in so isolated a position which would necessitate a self-defensible work with a
considerable garrison. 
The battery was not constructed. 
The Battery at West Blockhouse was eventually built on the recommendation of the Montgomery Report to command
the entrance to the Haven and cross fire with East Blockhouse Battery opposite. The five guns were in position by the
time of the Owen Report which declared that the three six inch guns were not required; these guns were not dismounted
immediately but remained in place as a practice battery for battle practice. In the First World War the three 6-inch guns
were withdrawn at an unspecified date as was a 9.2-inch gun in 1917.
At a time after the war two 6-inch guns, probably from South Hook Fort, were mounted in the  6-inch battery followed
by a 9.2-inch gun in 1933. An armament return of 1937 shows the 6-inch battery as the examination one and the 9.2-inch
battery as mounted in reserve; just prior to the outbreak of World War II the 9.2-inch guns were withdrawn. The 6-inch
guns probably remained in position until the dissolution of coast artillery in 1956 when they too were withdrawn.
The battery lies some 150 yards to the west of West Blockhouse Fort and at a higher level with a good view seawards
and of the entrance to the Haven. The positions for the five guns can easily be made out with their concrete aprons, the
9.2 inch positions have been partially filled in as has one of the  6-inch positions. The underground parts containing the
shelters magazines and stores have been buried. The two BC Posts appear to have been buried and are covered in
vegetation. The hutted camp and other buildings that lay behind the battery have all been removed. A practice PF cell
and a spigot mortar position survive at the site.
History and Description
Armament
Caponiers
Counterscarp       
         galleries
Haxo casemates
Moncrieff Pits
Commenced
Completed
Cost                  £
Map Reference
Position
Type
Ditch
Guns
Barrack Accom.
Present use
History
Disposal
Condition
Access
Sources
www.victorianforts.co.uk
Victorian Forts

                                
   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28