Page 26 - Demo
P. 26


                                    Milford Haven
12
East Blockhouse Battery
1901
1903
c£29,300
OS 843027
East Blockhouse Point
Coast Defence battery
5
Vacant
Coast Defence battery
Still MOD property
Poor - overgrown & partially buried
With permission from MOD and
it's agents.
1858 &1868 Committee Reports,  Precis of
Correspondence prior to 1893 National Archives.
Built at much the same time as West Blockhouse Battery on the opposite side of the Haven when it was decided to
concentrate the defences at the entrance to the Haven to prevent hostile vessels actually entering the Haven before being
engaged by the defences. The last guns to be mounted were the two 9.2-inch guns in June 1905. The Owen Report
considered the 6-inch guns unnecessary however the guns remained in situ as a practice battery although a six inch gun
was withdrawn in 1907. During the First World War both 6-inch guns were withdrawn in December 1914 to be followed
by a 9.2-inch gun in 191 7. After a review of the defences two 6-inch guns from Chapel Bay Battery were mounted in the
6-inch battery in August 1918. In 1929 a 9.2-inch gun was mounted in the emplacement vacated in 1917.
A practice battery was built in the left flank of the 9.2-inch battery for QF guns and in 1935 two 12pdrs from South Hook
Fort were mounted there and remained until dismounted in 1938. During the Second World War the two 6-inch guns
were dismounted in June 1941 and sent to Lavernock Battery in the Bristol Channel defences. Two 12pdrs arrived early
in 1941 but only remained until July, and were mounted in the practice battery; the day after the two 12pdrs had gone
another one arrived and was put in the practice battery. One twin 6pdr (possibly two) came to the battery and was to be
mounted to the south of the 9.2-inch battery. The emplacement was not completed and the gun was withdrawn the
following year.  The guns were for training and practice only and did not form part of the approved armament. Finally in
1944 the battery was disarmed with the withdrawal of the 9.2-inch guns, the ammunition did not leave the site until
1947. The battery remains the property of the Ministry of Defence although the coastal path skirts the gun positions.
In front of the 9.2-inch battery is a small piece of stone wall, all that remains of the Tudor defences. In a gentle arc are
the concrete positions for the 9.2-inch and 6-inch guns; the 9.2-inch battery can clearly be seen, the 6-inch positions have
been filled in and masked by vegetation. The underground stores magazines and shelters have all been buried, also
buried by vegetation are the engine room and BC Post. All the buildings associated with the site have gone with the
exception of the caretaker’s quarters. One position of the 12pdr practice battery can be seen (built on the emplacement
for a 5-inch BL vavasseur mounting), the other possibly covered in gorse.
History and Description
Armament
Commenced
Completed
Cost                  £
Map Reference
Position
Type
Ditch
Guns
Barrack Accom.
Present use
History
Disposal
Condition
Access
Sources
www.victorianforts.co.uk
Victorian Forts
1904-1907
2 x 9.2-inch BL Mark X   3 x 6-inch BL Mark VII
1900?
1 x 5-inch BL (Practice battery)
1907
1 x 6-inch BL withdrawn
1914
2 x 6-inch BL withdrawn
1917
1 x 9.2-inch BL withdrawn
1918
2 x 6-inch BL mounted
1929
1 x 9.2-inch BL Mark X mounted
1937
2 x 9-inch BL Mark X    2 x 6-inch BL Mark VII
1941
2 x 6-inch BL withdrawn
1941
(1 x 12pdr QF added in 5-inch BL position)
1941
1 x twin 6pdr (emplacement not completed)
1944
 
D
i
s
a
r
m
e
d
1956
Disarmed

                                
   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30