Page 6 - Milford Haven Defences
P. 6

Victorian Forts                                                Milford Haven               3





                                    Fort Hubberstone  (Battery)




               Commenced          1860                                Armament
               Completed          1863                                1870     Mounted 11 x 9-inch RML
               Cost                  £  55,000                        1885  Mounted 3 x 7inch RML Moncrieff
               Map Reference      SM 890 054                          1886
               Position                                               Casemate Battery   9 x 9-inch RML
                                                                      Moncrieff battery  Nil
                                                                      Open Battery    1 x 10-inch RML
               Type               Coast Defence Battery                               5 x 9-inch RML
               Ditch              Dry                                 1893   Approved  3 x 10inch RML 5 x 9inch RML
               Guns               28 - 32                                  Mounted 14 x 9inch RML
               Barrack Accom.                                         1898   Mounted 1 x 10-inch RML 8 x 9-inch RML

                                                                           Proposed 3 x 6-inch BL VII
               Present use        Private owner                       1908  1 x 12pr QF
               History            British Army Camp and US Seabees    Caponiers            1
                                  base                                                     2
               Disposal           Sold 1932                           Counterscarp
               Condition          Poor. Scheduled                              galleries
               Access             Private land
                                                                      Haxo casemates       none
                                  1858 &1868 Committee Reports,  Precis of
               Sources            Correspondence prior to 1893 National Archives.
                                  FSG conference papers 1997          Moncrieff Pits       8

             History and description

              Fort Hubberstone was approved by the Royal Commission of 1860 as part of the defences of Milford Haven. It was completed in that year
              as a nine gun installation. Work then began on the casemated battery, this being completed in 1863. as an eleven gun battery with a further
              eight guns on the terreplein and nine more in an open east flank battery. At the top of the site is a defensible barrack, approximately
              semi-circular with a high gorge wall. From the right hand corner of the barrack a sunken way runs around the terreplein down to the
              casemates. The ditch in front of the barrack is protected by caponiers and a counterscarp gallery, the entrance to the work being over a
              drawbridge.
              In August 1868 plans were approved for the alteration of the work to replace eight of the guns on the terreplein with eight guns in
              Moncrieff pits. Despite the ridiculous application of this type of gun in such a position the work was completed by 1872. The main gun
              casemates were armed with eleven 12-ton RML guns by  1872. By 1881 the open battery was re-armed with 10-inch RML guns and the
              fort was complete. In 1884 the infantry garrison was removed. In 1885 the three remaining Moncrieff guns on the roof were removed as
              armament of salient for works at Portsmouth. In 1886 it was decided The casemated battery should be treated in the same manner as
              recommended for Popton Point, the casemates to remain armed being Nos II, IV, VI, VIII and X. In the open battery 2 x 10inch RML
              should be added and all the 9inch RML removed; the 10inch guns should be mounted for high-angle fire to assist South Hook in the
              protection of Freshwater bay. The magazines and cartridge stores behind the casemates are unsafe. In 1908 its sole armament was one
              12pr. QF gun in a practice battery. It was never upgraded with modern weapons and shortly after World War One it was abandoned.
              It was sold in 1932. In 1939-45 it was used as a communal air-raid shelter, British Army camp and US Seabees base. From then on it
              deteriorated to the sorry state in which it can be found today although the new owners in 1977 sought planning permission to restore it and
              find a new use. The next owners are actively seeking a use for it which was to  include conversion to flats and retail units. In early 2019 it
              was reported that the fort was to be restored for use as ‘Camp Valour’,  C.I.C Veteran Transition Centre.








             www.victorianforts.co.uk
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11