Page 26 - Demo
P. 26


                                    Plymouth
12
Bowden Fort
Commenced
Completed
Cost                  £
Map Reference
Position
Type
Ditch
Guns
Barrack Accom.
Present use
History
Disposal
Condition
Access
Sources
1863 (contractor failed 1866)
by engineers 1868/69
15,891
SX497583
North East Defences, Right Flank
Land Front, polygonal
Dry
12 guns 3 mortars
16
Garden Centre, gorge ditch a car
park
1963
Altered to modern usage.
When the garden centre is open
1868 report : Precis of Correspondence relating to
the Defences of Plymouth 1893. Historic Defences of
Plymouth by A. Pye and F. Woodward
1875
 
proposed 
8 x 7-inch RBL 
4 x 8-inch How. 
2 x SB flank guns.
1885
 
mounted 
7 x 7-inch RBL
1893
 
mounted 
2 x 7-inch RBL 
4 x 64pr. RML 
required 
1 x 7-inch RBL
Caponiers
Counterscarp
galleries
Haxo casemates
Moncrieff Pits
1 flanking gallery
(musketry)
1
None
None
Bowden Fort (or Battery) was constructed so that its western face flanked the valley towards the rear
of Crown Hill and its Eastern face commanded the face of Forder battery. It was to mount 12 guns in
open battery with three mortars. It stood 345 feet above sea level. The ditch is excavated from rock
and is flanked at the salients by musketry galleries; the escarps and counterscarps are formed at a
slope of one-half to one. The gorge is closed by a wall 22 feet high, flanked by a defensible guard
room, on two levels, containing bomb-proof barrack roms for 16 men. Ample magazine
accommodation was provided.
On the ramparts four expense magazines were constructed underneath traverses. The site has been
re-used as a garden centre but the E and NE ramparts survive almost intact, the 64pdr RML positions
are recognisable. The two musketry galleries are buried to roof level and the access tunnels to them
are blocked. The main entrance was through the gorge wall to the west of the guard house. The lower
level of the guard house has been buried and the gorge ditch is now a car park.  The ramparts are
overgrown and the NW section has been levelled. The west mortar battery has been filled in, the area
now occupied by greenhouses. The other mortar battery at the north east salient is intact.
Armament
History and Description
www.victorianforts.co.uk
Victorian Forts

                                
   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30