Page 29 - Fort Burgoyne
P. 29

Fort Burgoyne                                                                                                  Dover Defences






                                                               Section through the North Rampart








         efficient weapon with which to arm caponiers. However Preview









         allowed light to shine into the magazine chamber. To the  armed with smooth bore carronades. There is no
         right steps led to the upper floor, which was similar in  evidence in the caponiers of racers for traversing
         arrangement to the lower floor. The left, right and left  platforms. The carronades were mounted on standard
         flank caponiers were all demi-caponiers, similar in   wooden block trail garrison carriages standing on the
         arrangement. The left flank  caponier held a third gun  floors. To prevent damage to the walls beneath the gun
         casemate, angled to protect the ditch to the left outwork  port from the wheels of the gun carriage, a length of
         but no sally port. All were on two levels with an expense  timber eight inches square and approximately eight foot
         magazine on each floor. At various places a trap in the  in length called a ‘hurter’ was placed in front of the
         upper floor allowed the gun and its carriage to be lifted  wheels acting as a cushion.
         to position. Restraining rings  set into the walls either
         side of each gun port,  for attaching a gun tackle, helped  Gorge Flanking Battery
         to run the gun forward to its firing position after it had  At the south east angle of the fort was a small two gun
         recoiled  upon firing. All of the gun casemates were  battery firing along the connecting ditch to the Eastern
         fitted with a fireplace and wood partitions to turn them  Wing Battery. It had its own expense magazine to the
         into barrack rooms so that gun crews could be         rear, with lobby and lighting passage. From this battery
         accommodated close to their guns during time of attack.  a short tunnel connected to the chemins des rondes. At
                                                               some time after the fort was completed the battery was
         The left and right gorge flanking casemates, also     remodelled to allow its guns to fire through embrasures
         referred to in some documents as ‘caponiers’, held guns  cut into the parapet. In 1886 the R.A. and R.E. Works
         on one floor with rifle loopholes on the other. They were  Committee decided that: The two 32pr S.B. guns should
         entered via staircases on either side of the fort entrance.  be removed and the parapet arranged for musketry
         The gun ports were set back from the face of the ditch
         for protection, and angled to fire out across the ditch.
         Each had a shifting lobby and expense magazine.


         The armament of caponiers was one thing that was never
         satisfactorily decided. They required an efficient gun
         that could be loaded quickly and discharged safely from
         a confined space with maximum efficiency to clear  the
         ditch of enemy troops. Experiments were carried out at
         Fort Tregantle in Devon to determine which gun was the
         most suitable. Quick firing guns were tested together
         with a purpose built smooth bore breech loading gun,
         the 32pr S.B.B.L. By 1884 this was chosen as the most
                                                               Gorge Flanking Battery
                                                               1 Shifting Lobby
         Fort Burgoyne did not receive this weapon for its main  2 Expense Magazine
         caponiers. Instead  the caponiers at Burgoyne were    3 Lighting passage




                                                           25
   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34