Page 9 - Fort Gilkicker
P. 9

Fort Gilkicker                                                                                  Solent Papers No.5















                              Preview














































            Although Lieutenant Colonel Jervois was by then   The casemates
           the Deputy Director of Works for Fortifications and  The new fort consisted of a high granite wall,
           as such was the presiding influence over the design  semi-circular in shape, facing the sea. This wall was
           of the fort at Gilkicker, the actual design was by  pierced on the seaward side by 22 arches (a reduction
           Lieutenant-Colonel Fisher.                         form the original plan) filled in with iron shields.
                                                              Each shield had an embrasure for a gun which was
           Work commenced in June 1863 under a contract for   mounted in a casemate behind. Each casemate was
           the basement. In November of the same year the     approximately 35 feet long and 18 feet in width. The
           contractor failed and the work was stopped. In June  roof of each casemates was covered with ten feet
           1865 it was re-commenced under a fresh contract and  thickness of Portland cement and concrete.
           it was nearing completion in 1869. By this time the
           plans had been revised (in 1867) to allow for iron  The rear portion of each casemate was a barrack
           shields in the casemates and for iron shields to   room which provided accommodation for the gun’s
           protect five guns which were to be mounted on the  crew and was fitted with the usual barrack room
           roof. The fort was completed in 1871.              fittings. The flooring was of deal on oak blocks, as


                                                            5
   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14